Re: [NTLK] Wavelan questions

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 22:51:10 EDT

>From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
>Yes, I tried it, and it doesn't change anything. The card remains
>powered (the led is on). And this option says infrastructure mode
>only.

I agree, the Lucent gold card I have- on my laptop, the low power mode
works and the LED flickers as it should to maintain a connection but idle;
but on the Newton, even when the connection is idle the LED is solid green,
so not in low power mode. I emailed the author about it but no reply; I
came in late to wireless so I'm sure he's had just a couple mails about
that by now.

>The only way I've found to have the card inserted but off with the
>Newton on is powering the Newton off and then back on. The card is
>waken when required without any problem.

Actually though if I have Simplemail set to drop the TCP link after a
check/send cycle (in the Inbox/Simplemail prefs) and I have the NIE prefs
set to drop connection when applications finish using it (I forget the
exact wording, it's like an idle time setting) the card does shut down
after checking or sending emails. The only time the card is powered up is
when activity is actually happening, the rest of the time the LEDs are off.
It wakes up / goes off each time I request a connect, no problem, no power
cycle of the Newton needed. Which seems ideal behaviour. The low power
mode would be nice though.

I can set the NIE prefs for a 5 min (or whatever) idle timeout and that
works fine too.

I'm using the 1.05 (latest as of a month ago anyway) driver, Lucent Gold
wireless card, no WEP, and the latest Simplemail; just the standard Apple
NIE, no patches (I seem to recall one patch being available for NIE; if it
really exists, I'm not using it).

Brian