Re: [NTLK] Birthdays entered in names mysteriously chang to 20xx!

From: Scott Roy Atwood (atwood_at_cs.stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 15:47:19 EDT

* sopha <sophalicus_at_charter.net> [021009 13:39]:
> new newton user here. using a mp 120 with os 2.0. i just got around the
> other day to gathering a lot of my extended families b-days and commenced to
> enter them into the names application. what i found is that for some reason
> the names app wants to change the year these people were born to a year in
> the 21st century. of course all of these relatives have birthdays in the
> 20th.
>
> what gives? my own b-day entered in fine in owners info? i can figure out a
> workaround, but just want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

Did you enter the birthdays using a two digit year, like "5/29/78"?
Because this is ambiguous, the Newton has to choose a century. I'm not
sure what algorithm it uses, but the end result is that if you use two
digits years, at least *some* years will get the wrong century. The
best answer is to always enter your birthdays with the full year.

-Scott