Re: [NTLK] suggestion for UNNA archive

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 15:42:37 EDT

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, David C. Myers wrote:

> Would it make sense to unstuff and unzip all the Newton packages on UNNA?
> I find I'm usually browsing UNNA directly from the Newton, and all of
> these intermediate archiving formats prevent me from doing the simple and
> obvious thing: downloading and installing packages directly from the
> internet. Ironically, about half of the packages are already
> uncompressed, but most of the ones I want are compressed!

The goal is that everything will be uncompressed. The new DB system,
which is still "almost ready" (well, the code and DB are done, but it
needs to be tweaked a bit more and made somewhat more user-friendly) is
designed such that everything should be uncompressed, and then you will be
able to compress and download entire program sets on the fly in at least
ZIP and TAR.GZ formats.

I while ago I started uncompressing everything, but before that point it
was pretty laissez-faire. I should go through it and uncompress
everything sometime, as well as make a damn update.