Re: [NTLK] Dowloading packages from the web

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 12:12:15 EDT

On 11/10/02 10:38, "Michael Lutz" <wcmlutz_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have tried to download several of the packages from the web off the
> UNNA archives, but they just show up as documents and NCU cannot do
> anything with them. I have tried it on a ibook with OS 9.1 using
> Netscape communicator 4.61 and on a G3 with 10.1.1 with Internet
> Explorer. I will be gone from the list for a few days. So I will try
> any suggestions you have when I get back.

That question comes up every now and then...

That's because the document lost its filetype and creator info, while
resting on the UNNA servers. You need to use a little program to set those
information used by the Finder, like PackType from Steve Weyer.

-Laurent.

farming n.: [Adelaide University, Australia] What the heads of a disk drive
are said to do when they plow little furrows in the magnetic media.
Associated with a crash. Typically used as follows: "Oh no, the machine has
just crashed; I hope the hard drive hasn't gone farming again." No longer
common; modern drives automatically park their heads in a safe zone on
power-down, so it takes a real mechanical problem to induce this.