Re: [NTLK] NTLK is SPAM?? (was Re: [OT] Where can I get a G3?)

From: Andy Collins (acollins_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 10:34:12 EDT

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 14:11, Eric L. Strobel wrote:

> on 10/17/02 6:50 AM, Matt Kelch at Matt_at_vulc4n.com wrote:
>
> I've received the following message direct to my e-mail addy. Anyone else
> on the list ever get these? This is the second or third different
> individual I've gotten this sort of crud from. I'm afraid that as various
> anti-spam methods are tried, this will happen more often. Is there anything
> that can be done?

Hi Eric,

I haven't seen this exactly but something similar many times. My guess
is that you email address has been added to a SPAM mailing list and is
being used as a "cover".

What happens is this... Evil spammer wants to mail bomb a whole load of
people but want to hide so they don't come in for too much stick. What
they do is forge their "from" address to be that of someone else on
their list and send out their messages.

If anyone complains or, as in this case, the mail gets blocked, the
complaint/block message isn't sent to the real sender but the person
named in the "from" or "reply to" field. The upshot is that you receive
mails from people you've never heard of complaining about a message
you've never sent :-) Great isn't it!?!?

Cheers.

Andy.