Re: [NTLK] 4 Questions

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 17:05:00 EDT

>1. I have a battery tray w/ alkalines, and am wondering if it would
>damage the power manager if I were to use my eMate charger to bypass the
>batteries.

No, you wouldn't.

> I plug it in, and it says "adapter" (as opposed to the
> eMate's "charging"),

This is normal. The eMate has a built-in rechargeable pack,
it will be charged as soon as you plug the ac adapter in
(unless it is already charged).
Your Newton is running on alkalines that can't be charged,
that's why it only says "adapter".

> but also the battery bar moves up about 1/4 the
> total distance. Is it still trying to charge my alkalines, and thus
> potentially hurting itself?

It shouldn't unless you modified your battery tray. If it does
anyway, something is severely wrong with your Newton. Do
the alkalines get hot?

Frank

-- Newton Hardware and Software at http://www.pda-soft.de