Re: [NTLK] two quick Newton questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 16:14:04 EDT

On 22/10/02 15:52, "Daniel Ridge" <dskr_at_mac.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002, at 12:31PM, Laurent Daudelin
> <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com> wrote:
>

>> On 22/10/02 15:11, "Daniel Ridge" <dskr_at_mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Question 1:
>>>
>>> My iBook is away at Apple service for the week, but I'd like to use it to
>>> charge my Newton
>>> when it returns. Has anyone built a FireWire or USB charging device for the
>>> Newton?
>>>

>> Question 1: no. There are no drivers for either USB or FireWire on the
>> Newton.
>
> This is not quite what I meant. USB (A side) and FireWire (6 pin) ports can
> both provide
> power to dumb devices whithout requiring either drivers or explicit software
> support.
>
> This is how USB devices like the Kensington Fly-Light operate -- they have no
> ASICs.USB is supposed to give you 100mA for free without negotiating a higher
> power level.
>
> I already have a dumb USB charger for my Motorola Startac and I'm impressed
> with the way that my iPod charges over FireWire.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had already made a dumb charging circuit for the
> Newton that used either USB or Firewire.

I guess I was not clear enough: no, AFAIK, nobody has
written/built/manufactured/fabricated/engineered anything that could
resemble or be more or less closely related to an USB and/or FireWire
adapter/card/driver/whatever. If you're sticking a USB or FireWire PCMCIA
card in your Newton, and if the Newton doesn't have any driver that claims
to recognize that card, the card won't be used and power will be cut off.
Now, suppose that there was a driver, I highly doubt that the PCMCIA
circuitry in the Newton would be able to provide enough power to recharge
any external device. However, I'm not a hardware engineer, so I could very
well be wrong, and would love to!

I'm still waiting to hear from any Newton owner that they're successfully
using a USB or FireWire card in their Newton, but I confess I won't hold my
breath...

-Laurent.

geek n.: A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one
who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not
mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia.
Most geeks are adept with computers and treat hacker as a term of respect,
but not all are hackers themselves - and some who are in fact hackers
normally call themselves geeks anyway, because they (quite properly) regard
`hacker' as a label that should be bestowed by others rather than
self-assumed.