Re: [NTLK] NaPalm: it's for real

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 14:58:04 EDT

This is all just from my experience. Really, Brian should be answering these
questions.

Mark Rollins wrote:

> Forgive my doubts, but one could make a "Palm-appearing" app easily. Here's
> a laundry list of questions.
>
> - Did you try all the buttons - name, date, notepad, checklist?
> - Do they seem to work?
> - Can you add and edit data?

All the apps do come up. They all seem to work: the right menus, prefs, etc
etc. None of the input methods work yet.

> - Does the data survive a Newton reset?

No. It actually doesn't even survive closing and opening NaPalm.

> - Is it using Grafilthy only, or is the Newt's HWR passed thru to the Palm
> emulator?

No input methods work yet. It does respond to taps and to the
bottom-to-top-of-screen stroke.

> - what is the mechanism to install Palm apps?
> - what is the mechanism to install Palm books?

None yet. It's still early. One could get a ROM image and then add their own
apps to it by using Romeo, I suppose:

http://romeo.sourceforge.net/

> - How does one set Palm RAM; or is this ROM-dependent?

There's no settings yet, but right now it is set to 512K of RAM (since it is
using a PalmPro ROM)

> - Does the Palm emu take advantage of other cards (e.g. Airport, modem)
> installed in the Newton?

Not yet... I suppose...

> - Can you beam from the Newton back to the Palm emu using a mirror?

Uhh... you're joking, right?