Re: [NTLK] First time Newton user, new to the list

From: James Elliott (james.elliott_at_newted.org)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 23:52:55 EDT

>Hi,
>
>I'm new to this list, and the proud owner of a MessagePad 120, which=20
>I bought off of ebay. I've always wanted to try out a Newton, and=20
>finally I've got my chance. The unit I got from ebay is great - the=20
>screen has absolutely no scratches, and the case is in great shape=20
>as well. I think I already like it better than my Palm m100!
>
>I have a few questions, and I was hoping that the list could help me=20
>out. If this kind of information is covered in a FAQ or website=20
>somewhere that I haven't found yet, just tell me to RTFM, and point=20
>me in the right direction.

There is a very complete FAQ, and there is a link to it at the bottom=20
of every NewtonTalk message.

>So, here's my questions:
>- the connect cable. Should I spring for one off of ebay, or use=20
>one of the wiring diagrams I've found on the net to either build one=20
>myself (I can solder fairly well), or get my local custom cable shop=20
>to make one? Are the diagrams on the net generally accurate?

I assume that you are connecting your Newt to a PC. If you've a Mac,=20
you can use a normal printer cable (Mini DIN 8). I've one that I=20
don't need since I don't have a PC, so e-mail me off list if you're=20
interested.

>- recommended software. Once I've got my cable, what are some of=20
>the "must have" or "killer" Newton apps that would run well on a=20
>120? What apps do you folks love? How many apps can I reasonably=20
>expect to fit on the 120?

Well, I can't recommend any particular titles, but I can tell you the=20
best place to find software, the United Network of Newton Archives.=20
It can be found at http://www.unna.org

>- 120 vs. the 2100's. How happy long term do you think I will be=20
>with the 120? If I'm happy right now with a Palm M100 (slow, only 2=20
>meg of RAM), will the 120 stack up fairly favorably?
>
>- durability. How durable/reliable are Newtons as a whole? If I=20
>commit to using the Newton full time as my primary PDA, should I=20
>consider getting a backup unit just in case?

You may want to get some screen protectors. There are three=20
commercial options, NuShield - http://www.nushield.net (I'm using one=20
on my 2100, it is sweet), Strong Engineering -=20
http://strongengineering.com/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=3DCTGY&S=20
tore_Code=3DBA&Category_Code=3DSP-Apple (they don't make them for the=20
120, just 2x00 and eMate), and an individual whose quality I can't=20
vouch for, Bob Ulrich - http://www.rmu252.com. You can also make=20
your own. I've info on that on my site=20
http://www.newted.org/~jelliott/screenprotectors.html

-James