[NTLK] Attn: Keepers of the FAQ

From: Troy V. Barkmeier (machead_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 11:30:11 EST

So I'm a longtime lurker, been on this list for years, and have gleaned
scads of good info from reading the digest every day. Finally, I think I
have a small piece of information I can contribute to the cause; those in
charge of maintaining the FAQ and/or the Ethernet info page, take note.

Very short version:
eMate NOS 2.2 _hates_ Ethernet cards.

Very long version:
I have a pile of Newtons, but the only two that are seeing active use are
my 2000u and an eMate that I've set up for my wife to use. I bought a
completely trashed eMate from eBay for almost nothing, then sent it into
Apple under the $150-fixes-everything program they used to have.
Naturally, they took one look at the wretched beast, tossed it on the
burn pile, and shipped me back a shrink-wrapped factory fresh
replacement. So now I have a mint condition eMate for under $200, and to
top it off, it seems to have a newer version of NOS (2.2) than my 2000u -
all good so far, right?

I'd been using Ethernet with my 2000u ever since I got it, and I had
several extra cards lying around, so I loaded up the eMate with the NIE
stuff and the necessary Ethernet drivers, inserted a 3C589D Ethernet
card, and got a -48807 error. Undismayed, I removed the packages,
reinstalled them in the order recommended by the Ethernet info page,
reinserted the card, got another -48807 error. Ditto after a brainwipe.
Ditto after a cold boot. Ditto after repeating all above steps with a
genuine Farallon Ethernet card. Sigh.

Put the eMate away for awhile, as it was supposed to be for my wife, and
it was useless for her without Ethernet. Picked it up again a year or so
ago and started playing with it; in one of those rare and wonderful
flashes of dumb luck, I forgot which machine I was on, actually tried to
connect with Ethernet, and found that it worked! Even though I was still
getting the -48807 error on card insertion, I found that I could go
through the setup and connect about 90% of the time and do syncing,
internet, etc.; my wife was thrilled, as she finally got to make use of
the thing, which was supposed to have been a birthday present for her.

Fast forward to last week, when I finagled a Lucent WaveLAN from our
college's network guy and installed it into my 2000u (with some extra
help from Hiroshi). A quick Software Base Station on my TiBook later, and
I've got wireless Newt! How damned cool is that, I ask you? The correct
answer is, "So damned cool that your wife will want it, too." Three
frustrating hours later, I come to the conclusion that wireless won't
work on this eMate. The Ethernet cards generally worked (even with the
error) because they required no additional setup; they don't even show a
slip on insertion on my 2000u. The wireless, on the other hand, does show
a card insertion slip and has some important setup options that need to
be set from that slip. Nothing I did could get that slip to show up -
just kept getting the annoying -48807 error.

So, I'm surfing for solutions and happen to find an old post from
Stephanie Maks in which she talks about how NOS 2.2 was actually a
_downgrade_ that she accomplished by performing a dangerous ROM swap. So
I install the eMate 2.1 737246 patch and everything works. (Kinda
anticlimatic, I know - "Wow, he installed a system patch and it fixed
some stuff? Unbelievable!")

The bottom line is that it never occurred to me that it would even be
possible (let alone advisable) to patch my eMate's system version
nominally _down_ to 2.1 in order to get Ethernet cards to work properly,
but that's exactly what was necessary. Hope this helps somebody someday.

TVB