Re: [NTLK] PCMCIA storage card help & NIE 2.0 help plz

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 08:40:54 EST

on 30/10/02 06:19, Paul Randall at info_at_paulrandall.co.uk wrote:

> NEED MORE STORAGE ON MY NEWT MP2000
> Is there anyone there can tell me if you can use any PCMCIA storage
> cards in Newton's. I have a newt 2000 and I could really do with more
> storage. I have 4 x 1Mb cards which is not really very much storage
> when you really get into using your newt.
>

> PLZ HELP WITH NIE2.0
> Also I am struggling to understand how to get my newton working on the
> Internet.
>
> I have a PowerMac 9500/200 connected to the newt via a serial
> connetion. (I also have localtalk cabling if this is a better way to do
> this).
>
> I have a cable modem connected to the Mac using DHCP server.
>
> I have installed NIE 2.0 and I am now stuck here.
>
> I want to use the internet connection supplied by the cable modem to my
> Mac over either serial or localtalk but I can't seem to figure out how
> this is done.

For your storage needs, you could maybe consider getting the ATA driver
<http://www.kallisys.com/> and then buy a cheap compact flash or something
similar with the PCMCIA adapter to fit your Newton.

For your Internet needs, I would strongly recommend that you get a small
router that will act as a gateway between your Macintosh and your Newton, on
one side, and your cable modem on the other side. Get a cheap Ethernet card
for your Newton and you'll have the best connection you could imagine (OK,
maybe wireless would be nicer, but still!). That will save you a lot of time
and errors that you will certainly spend to make an internet connection
working over LocalTalk/Serial.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rich Cook