Re: [NTLK] Dvorak (was clie (OT))

From: Kenton A. Hoover (shibumi_at_marchordie.org)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 10:45:50 EST

There are a few firms that sell little plastic stickies for your keyboard that
put the Dvorak key letters in the right spots. I think I paid US$10 for the set
for my old ThinkPad (FreeBSD, not M$).

I've done the Dvorak thing twice. I found that after much practice, I could
switch back-and-forth, but that I didn't get any notable speed gain from
Dvorak. And apparently, that is, in fact, the case for most people who compose
as they go. For transcription, it might (just might) be faster. For me, I have
to think of what I'm going to say and how I'm going to phrase it before I
actually put it down, so typing speed doesn't seem to be the bottleneck to
getting words onto the 'page'.

I only know one person who was a Dvorak user and I have queried her as to her
views. She's a writer (has a journalism fellowship at MIT this year) and I'll
pass along what she says.

--
| Kenton A. Hoover                        |                        |
| Private Citizen                         |        +1.415.850.5924 |