Re: [NTLK] Japanese (Hiragana, Katagana and Kanji)

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_Streamserve.Com)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 10:27:22 PDT

Hi guys,
Enfour's is the only kanji recognizer I've seen out there, and not only is
it not cheap, as far as I know they don't sell it outside of Japan (I assume
you're not there)..
I also have not seen a learning app like what you're looking for, but that
would be great.. if you know of any open source applications that do this,
point me at them; I might be able to port something (perhaps not soon.. I
never have enough free time..).
The best input method I've seen for Newton is Izumi (which uses Ayumi):
http://www.aichi-pu.ac.jp/ist/~ohkubo/newton/izumi/
It's got a strange kanji input method that I think might be pretty good
after you've gotten used to it.. but you have to be pretty comfortable with
kanji so you know what order the strokes tend to go in (keep in mind though
that the way it does it isn't related to any accepted system that I know
of). Ayumi is the part that lets you write in katakana in a little box and
have it output either katakana or hiragana.

I've got a Japanese dictionary app that I wrote available on my web page..
There are a bunch of enhancements and fixes that I really need to make but
haven't ever gotten around to. Maybe if there's some call for it from my
user base (which I think is about three including myself). I apologize for
the huge size of the dictionary package (^_^;;)
http://www.ryoohki.net/~sam/newtjdic.html

I started another app that would let you make flashcards for yourself (box
to draw kanji/word, meaning, reading..), but discovered I preferred actual
paper flashcards. I could try to polish that up enough to give out, some
evening, if you think you'd use it. I wonder if I could get it to replay
the strokes as you drew them... Anybody here have experience with that?
(maybe I'd better start another thread with a related subject)

/sam