Re: [NTLK] Travel and the Newt

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 18:09:07 PDT

>on 9/4/02 5:55 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:
>
>> Interesting, because the last time I flew out of Dulles (last October), they
>> were not even presenting you with that option. The security person was
>> specifically directing people to place the tray on the conveyor. It's been
>> that way every time I've flown since then, at all airports I've been thru.
>> I'd be interested to hear others' experience on this.
>>
>> BTW, I agree that examining by hand would make more sense.
>
>Honestly, most of what goes on anymore doesn't make sense. There are strict
>rules and regulations, and firm stances, but none of it really increases
>security in any measurable amount. It's a knee-jerk reaction and it's rather
>brainless IMNSHO.
>--
>-Jon Glass

The biggest security improvement has nothing to do with any government
regulations or airport screening. If anyone tries to hijack an airplane
in the US again, the passengers will attack and possibly kill the
miscreants. Its already happened several times since 9/11. I spoke to a
pilot recently who informed me that there is an axe in the cockpit for
escape in a fire. He said he would not be afraid to use it if someone
tried to break down the cockpit door.

Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net