Re: [NTLK] need help w/deleting classroom applications on eMate, and more...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 18:13:02 PDT

on 05/09/02 18:48, M. Kadison at m.kadison_at_mimarchitect.com wrote:

> Laurent,
>
> I have what appears to be double (top/bottom) PCMCIA card slot that can
> accomodate either a double thick card (like a compact hard drive), or only a
> single card like a fax/modem or ethernet card at the bottom. Thus my only
> path of memory upgrade is in conflict with any other pcmcia card, such as an
> ethernet, fax/modem or compact hard drive card.
>
> It is the info/memory where I discovered how much internal memory was left
> after installing NIE2.0, eMate patch files, and NetHopper (NewtsCape is out
> of question due to demanding more space). I think I did upgrade it to 2.1
> as some of the dialog boxes were originally not available. I believe that
> the earlier eMates were introduced with the 2K and had an OS that is one
> generation older than the 2.1.
>
> I will browse the Apple knowledgebase to see if indeed the eMates have only
> one PCMCIA slot. If that is indeed true, I will more than likely abandon
> the whole project.

Matt,

If you can stick in 2 cards, then you're in business! I don't think there is
even a double-thick (or what was the official name?) card in a Newton. The
only Newton that can accommodate those is the eMate. All other Newtons use
regular PCMCIA card, so you shouldn't have any problem sticking 2 of them in
your eMate: one Flash RAM card for additional storage, and one Ethernet card
for connectivity. So, I don't see any conflict.

Regarding the NOS upgrade, unless you have some kind of rare prototype, all
eMate has been shipping with NOS 2.1 in ROM. So, what you have installed
must have been a system patch.

-Laurent.