[NTLK] anyone looking for a Newton development job?

From: Aaron Jon Reichow (reichowa_at_tcfreenet.org)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 14:51:44 PDT

Hello all,

I'm looking for someone to port Squeak Smalltalk, hopefully a 3.0-era VM
to Newton OS 2.x. I could try to do it myself, but let's just say that
doing C-ish work isn't my thing. I'm an aspiring biologist, not a
programmer. However, a version of Squeak for the Newton is worth a lot to
me, but I am a mere undergrad student, paying his own way through school,
so I don't have a lot of money to contract this project out- but I would
if I could. The most I could really afford is around $250.

The Squeak webpage can be found at http://www.squeak.org. It's all written
in ANSI C. The virtual machine is written in a subset of Smalltalk called
Slang, which generates C code.

To give you an idea of the VM, mirtual machine sources for Unix are
available at: <http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/>, although
Squeak runs on many platforms- Mac OS 9 and X, most Unices, Windows
9x/NT/2k/XP, Risc OS and some more obscure platforms. The code is very
portable.

The least portable part of Squeak is the part that does the GUI. Squeak
has it's own GUI system, and would only really require a bitmapped Canvas
to display it's GUI on to. This would be satisfactory, and perhaps
easier. But I would also be game for having a connection to using the
native Newton OS widgets.

I know there's only a miniscule probability that anyone will be interested
in taking this job, but if there's any way I could return to the Newton
platform, I figure it's worth posting this. :)

Also, let me apologize for the goofiness of this request- I assure you,
I'm not insane, just a little attached to both of my favorite computing
platform- Newton OS and Smalltalk.

If anyone is interested in this, shoot me an email and we can discuss
where to go from there.

Another possibility that has a much smaller footprint and would probably
be easier to port to the Newton OS is PocketSmalltalk. See:
<http://www.pocketsmalltalk.com/>. It currently runs on Palm OS and EPOC,
but it is designed for running on PDAs. I have to do some more research
to see if PocketSmalltalk does enough of what I need it to, but until I
find out otherwise, I think it should remain an option.

It's gotta be possible- they managed to port Waba!

Regards,
Aaron

Aaron Reichow :: Twin Ports ACM VP :: http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"The profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the
path of least resistance is what makes a river crooked." -U. Utah Phillips