Re: [NTLK] My First Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 09:14:30 PDT

On 16/09/02 10:39, "Katarina Gubler" <bubbles9413_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone! My name is Katarina and I have just purchased a Newton~my
> first! I'm a little lost with it right now, but I'm learning. I heard this
> was the place where all the Newton wisdom was stored, so I thought I would ask
> a question and hopefully someone out there can help me. Is there a way to
> print from this wonderful piece of machinery? If so, what do I need?

You need a compatible printer and a proper cable. With the usual serial
cable you get with a Newton, you're limited to a few printers. You can try
to get a PrintPack, which is part hardware and software. The hardware part
is a serial to parallel converter, so that you can print to a lot of PC
printers. If you get an AppleTalk network (over Ethernet or LocalTalk), then
you can print to (almost) any PostScript printer.

-Laurent.

finger-pointing syndrome n.: All-too-frequent result of bugs, esp. in new or
experimental configurations. The hardware vendor points a finger at the
software. The software vendor points a finger at the hardware. All the poor
users get is the finger.