Re: [NTLK] 802.11/WLAN and DHCP -> Configs?

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 14:05:23 PDT

>From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ren=E9_Groot?= <groot_at_mac.com>
>My experience: the Newton will not connect if the base station it is=20
>actually connected through is NOT the one that serves the DHCP. In=20
>other words, if there is a router or another station behind it, that=20
>acts as DHCP servers, it will typically error out. If you can move=20
>closer to the base station that actually serves these, you're lucky. If=20=
>it is a router then you're out of luck. I managed to get by it using=20
>the new Software Base Station functionality in 10.2

Here, I have a Linksys BEFSR41 serving DHCP from the cable modem; one jack
on the switch of the Linksys is hooked to a NetGear WAP MR-314; wireless
DHCP to the Newton from Netgear WAP works fine.

The Linksys is serving DHCP and so is the Netgear, so I get the actual DHCP
for the Newt from the Netgear. the Linksys serves out a 192.168.1.x
address for the Netgear router, the NetGear serves out 192.168.0.X
addresses to the Newton and whatever else is hooked to *it's* LAN side.
I'm using the 1.05? driver for the Newton wireless (whatever was most
current as of a couple weeks ago when I got my Orinoco card).

Sometime I will turn NAT off on the Netgear and just make it a big switch,
and then my Newt will be
able to print to the Appletalk printer hooked to the Linksys (I don't know
of any home-consumer-grade router that will route Appletalk packets from
LAN to WAN side, but the NetGear and several others will do so if you turn
off NAT and just make them a big switch).

So, it is possible with some hardware anyway. I could jsut put the Netgear
box behind the router but the Linksys is config'd for my IP forwarding and
I was too lazy to reenter the config into the Netgear router. Besides, I
need the extra RJ45 jacks anyway.

FWIW, on the Newton, I am able to access any available network so far
(from coffeeshop or univ. library or whatever) if I leave the name of the
wifi network blank in the Newton; so far, if I set it to "ANY", it hasn't
let me into any open networks I've visited. I know a couple people posted
recently about not getting access to work other than from their home WAP,
but I've been compatible so far when I take the Newt elsewhere.