Re: [NTLK] Newton Toolkit Manual

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 09:41:14 PDT

Actually I just went through this yesterday in my quest to become a Newton
programmer ("Lookout World"). I was getting messed up with the different
versions of documentation and program files (I have 'Programming for the
Newton Using Macintosh', which doesn't match the NTK Demo version they
supply, but used NTK 1.6.4 from UNNA which seems to have extra stuff, but
not some other stuff.) As you can see I was confused.

I eventually found a more complete version at Planet Newton
( <http://download.planetnewton.com/downindex.asp> ), install the 1.6.3
complete package (which includes the newer 'Toolkit App' you need to
install on the Newt), then get the 1.6.4 executable. It didn't come with a
2.1 platform file, but that was on UNNA.

The 'Programming for the Newton' book is a good start (which is where I'm
at), but the 'Programmers Guide' and 'Programmers Reference' PDFs are
where things get interesting. Both are at UNNA in
apple/documentation/developer. At 942 and 1390 pages respectively we're
looking at the bottom of a very large and steep learning curve. Time to
buy coffee in bulk. The Programmers Guide can still be had through Amazon.
com, may be worth the $34 to avoid the eye-strain. The tree is already
dead.

Right now my 6/49 lotto picker app prints out the same set of six numbers
every time. Hey, just as much chance as any other set of numbers, right? :
-)

Good luck!

jc