Re: [NTLK] ? about wi-fi networking and the newton

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 12:27:02 PST

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 11:56 AM, Nathan Turnage wrote:

>> Not at all. Any good base like Netgear or Linksys or even an OSX=20
>> based
>> mac running 10.2 or higher with sharing on will work...
>

> So you're saying that if I bought an Airport card for my G4 and a
> Wavelan card for my Newton I could surf on my Newt?
If your G4 has 10.2 or higher installed...
> Would it work if the
> mac was sleeping?
I think so, although it must disable deep sleep I guess?
> Would that be over Appletalk, Rendesvous, TCP/IP? Is
> there an explanation of how to do that anywheres?
TCP/IP, you go to the System Preferences/Sharing/Internet and enable=20
sharing of you airinternet connection over airport.

> I have been with the Mac a long time, but networking is not my fort=E9=20=

> (so
> to speak), so I know little about making machines talk to one another.
It's pretty simple.
> Currently I am running a cheap router and running everything through
> DHCP to share a Cable connection.
The G4 would become another router essentially. It would create a new=20=

wireless subnet and provide DHCP for that subnet, as well as routing=20
traffic to the wired router.

Marty

PS I have done this before and it works fine with the Newton/wavelan=20
setup. Although I had WEP off.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html