Re: [NTLK] Apple iPad

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 05:05:14 PST

>From: "Dylan Stewart" <rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu>
>Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 02:17:18 -0600

>Anyway, I am wondering what the minimum connectivity hardware that Apple
>would put in is. I don't want to know what we want, I want to know what
>Apple is likely to do. I think that if they only have four ports, then USB,
>FireWire, S-Video, and VGA are probably the most likely. That would allow a
>wide range of devices to be connected to this with very little internal
>hardware.

What do you think about S-Video & VGA -out *and* - in? Would that
work using one and the same port? Video-in would mean a nice big
display for camcorders (esp. non digital), portable dvd devices,
luggable gaming consoles.
I agree with your four-port idea. Internal BlueTooth is mandatory,
any AirPort connectivity should be optional.
The key lies in keeping the price down. I like the idea of having a
tablet PC (given it would run a usable OS / non-reflux-inducing GUI),
but they are too darn expensive. As someone mentioned before, $600
sans AirPort would be fine. Therefore I think the absence of a HD
would be a real possibility. How much space do you really need? Would
you want to do full-scale video editing on a portable? I mean, look
at it, we are using Newtons, and I think that as far as critical
*data* is concerned, many are fine with the Newt's internal memory,
at least I am for sure. Apps are another thing, of course. But put,
say, 128/256MB of flash mem into a device, and another 128/256 of RAM
(this might well be much less, who knows what kind of OS is used...),
and let people use their iPods / any portable FW-drive if they really
need the space. 2,5" HDs cause weight, heat, and cost. They also
feast on battery time.

Just a few thoughts.

Oliver :)

--
I can see by your coat my friend that you're from the other side
There's just one thing I got to know