Re: [NTLK] Prelimbinaries/Escale Help

From: John Anderson (dearjohn_at_everchanging.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 13:51:27 PDT

For the record I chose the second option for NewtSync because I already
had some code (FilePad Link) that did this, and I figured it would give
me a head start. And in some ways I'm hesitant to change it because:

(a) It would be a lot of work;
(b) This way I know (in theory anyway) what's going on on both ends and
can debug the Newton side of things;
(c) At this point the source is all public
<http://sf.net/projects/newtsync> and others can use this stuff to
(relatively) easily connect other apps to the Newton.
(d) The PrelimBinaries stuff is some really solid work and I think it's
probably better for the Newton community to provide an alternative that
operates functionally differently.

However, I'm still hard at work on an AppleScript plug-in API for
NewtSync, and would love it if that same API could be implemented in
Escale, so that plug-ins would work on both products. Once I get the
AppleScript API done I plan to move the iCal sync stuff over to it (a
lot of it's written in AppleScript right now anyway). So if Escale
implemented the API then it would get iCal sync (and FilePad/FileMaker
sync when I finish it) pretty much for free.

As for now, I've gotten the source checked into SourceForge's CVS
repository, so I can start implementing some fixes and my changes will
be public. The next release of NewtSync (and the one you'll get if you
compile the source) will also no longer require a serial number.

John Anderson
everchanging

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html