Re: [NTLK] eMate memory upgrades (was: My Impossible Requests)

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 15:11:09 PDT

On Apr .4.2003 at 12:35:55 PDT, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> Awesome. Since this has a big sticker on it that says "4MB eMate" I'm
> guessing that after installation your eMate has 4MB DRAM and 6MB Flash
available?

Why would it have 6 MB of FLASH? Later in your message, you say that the
Intel chip is a 16 Mb chip, so, that comes out to 2 MB. Last time that I
checked, 2 (internal) + 2 (card) = 4 (total).

Now, I have made worse mistakes myself, I'm just wondering if it was a
simple case of bad math or if you really thought that it was more.

The DRAM gets replaced and the FLASH is added, right? So the old DRAM is
disconnected? I wonder if it is a suitable chip for the upgrade board. If
so, then a dead eMate's DRAM and FLASH plus the DRAM from the recipient
eMate could be salvaged into a memory upgrade. In fact, if the old DRAM
chip is disconnected entirely, then there is no reason to keep that
particular chip in upgraded eMates. People could remove it and sell it (or
give it away) to people who want to upgrade their eMates.

The board doesn't look very complex at all. The traces are a bit too small
to do with a PCB router, but someone could probably either etch them or get
a place like ExpressPCB to do it. In fact, if enough of us want them, then
ExpressPCB would actually be pretty cheap.

To Joel, what are the measurements of the board and the contacts?

To PCBMan, how do you fab the Ser001 boards? Would it be possible (and
inexpensive) to make this board or would we be better off making them
another way?

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html