Re: [NTLK] eMate memory upgrades (was: My Impossible Requests)

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 16:35:11 PDT

Dylan Stewart wrote:
> On Apr .4.2003 at 12:35:55 PDT, Victor Rehorst wrote:
>
>>Awesome. Since this has a big sticker on it that says "4MB eMate" I'm
>>guessing that after installation your eMate has 4MB DRAM and 6MB Flash
>
> available?
>
> Why would it have 6 MB of FLASH? Later in your message, you say that the
> Intel chip is a 16 Mb chip, so, that comes out to 2 MB. Last time that I
> checked, 2 (internal) + 2 (card) = 4 (total).
>
> Now, I have made worse mistakes myself, I'm just wondering if it was a
> simple case of bad math or if you really thought that it was more.

Yeah, that's some bad math. I was trying to figure out the Microsoft CDO
library at the same time, my brain was being kerfuddled :)

> The DRAM gets replaced and the FLASH is added, right? So the old DRAM is

Right. Apparently the Voyager chipset can only address 4MB directly. I
believe Paul said this on the list, I saw it in the archives today.

> disconnected? I wonder if it is a suitable chip for the upgrade board. If
> so, then a dead eMate's DRAM and FLASH plus the DRAM from the recipient
> eMate could be salvaged into a memory upgrade. In fact, if the old DRAM
> chip is disconnected entirely, then there is no reason to keep that
> particular chip in upgraded eMates. People could remove it and sell it (or
> give it away) to people who want to upgrade their eMates.

Uhm... the eMate has 1MB of DRAM on board. How could you use a 1MB chip it to
upgrade another eMate's DRAM?

> The board doesn't look very complex at all. The traces are a bit too small
> to do with a PCB router, but someone could probably either etch them or get
> a place like ExpressPCB to do it. In fact, if enough of us want them, then
> ExpressPCB would actually be pretty cheap.

Except if those DRAM chips (or a suitable, preferably low-power replacement)
are made of unobtanium... flash chips I'm less worried about.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html