Re: [NTLK] Package Installs and Backups in OS X

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 10:00:52 PDT

Il me semble que le 30/4/03 à 11:42 -0500, David M. Ensteness nous racontait:
>Anyway for me to install packages and do backups in OS X without a
>serial port OR Classic?

Package installation can be done over AppleTalk and TCP/IP (including
with Rendezvous) with Delivery and Escale
(http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/, latest binary:
http://krugazor.free.fr/Escale.app.sit)

However, please note that there is the boot strapping problem. You
need to have an Ethernet card and the required Ethernet drivers and
other related packages installed on your Newton.

Otherwise, without Classic, your only hope is a localtalk to
ethertalk bridge. There is a software capable of IrDA, but it only
runs on MacOS. Escale and Delivery don't do IrDA because there is
strictly no documentation and we even wonder if the APIs are there
(there is OBEX, tho).

Backups cannot be done natively on MacOS X yet. Please wait until at
least Escale 1.1 which is planned for the end of May, after ATA
Support RC6. I haven't yet decided on what to focus except fix the
few bugs in the bugs database and finish the test applications to
make the communication layers more stable.

Regards,

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/