Re: [NTLK] Back to School Programs

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 06:31:08 PDT

Smith Family wrote:
> Since school is beginning in a few weeks here, I'm beginning to look for
> some software that can make my Newt more useful at school. I was wondering
> if you guys have any reccomendations for:

> - A graphing calculator. My
> newton does not have a keyboard so I can't use Newton Works Calculations.

There are tons of calculators on UNNA:
http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/calculator/

Note that you can use Works Calc with the on-screen keyboard... it just helps
to have a third-party button somewhere to open the keyboard as Works Calc
doesn't have a built-in button for it.

http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/PeriodicTable1.0/

> - A dictionary and thesaurus.

I'd recommend Lexionary: it's big though (3.7MB installed, it will fit on a
4MB flash card):

http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/Lexionary/

It sort of combines the functions of a dictionary and a thesaurus. It's
based on the WordNet project at Princeton:

http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/

> - A translator program for French class. A French - English dictionary
> would be nice also.

PowerTrans is still around somewhere. It's not free.

> - Any guides, pocket references, or literature on C++.

Try here:
http://www.unna.org/unna/books/Computers/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html