[NTLK] "Timeless 130" take two

From: Len Cole (lj_cole_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 09:29:03 PDT

I've just acquired a MessagePad 130 which exhibits
intermittent clock operation. I have been able to pretty
much verify that everything else on this MessagePad works
okay except for the PCMCIA slot.

I did search the MARC archives for posts related to this
topic and found several describing the symptoms (such as
"Lizzie's Timeless 130") as well as suggested causes and
cures. I did not find any information about the cause or
the cure that I thought was conclusive.

Can anyone tell my if this is a major subsystem failure,
meaning that it will eventually cause other parts of the MP
to fail? Or is this an isloated subsystem which won't casue
more hardware faults to propagate? Is this a problem which
can be cleared up by a reset procedure, or does the unit
have to be disassembled.

Other than the recalibration of the clock's crystal, which
seems to apply only to the 2x00s, is there a known cause
for the clock to not run when the MP 130 is turned off?

Also, with respect to the Mac's LocalTalk network, which is
not active when ethernet is being used, has anyone been
able to successfully establish a link between a MessagePad
and a Mac through Apple's LocalTalk Bridge control panel?
What about through a hardware ethernet-to-LocalTalk bridge?

I get a nice solid comms link if I disconnect ethernet and
hook the MP up directly through AppleTalk without the
Bridge control panel. I'm running OS 9.2.2 if it makes a
difference, and LocalTalk Bridge handles my AppleTalk
printers just fine.

Thanks in advance for assistance.