Re: [NTLK] [OT] FaxSFT (ex: Re: Addendum to Frank Gruendel's Fax story)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 07:54:50 PDT

Il me semble que le 19/08/03 à 15:48 +0100, Paul Vaughan nous racontait:
>Well, it looks like somewhere between setting up my
>eMac, upgrading to OSX10.2.4, then stuffing everything
>up with an X-Windows app and reinstalling, FaxSTF has
>gone AWOL.

You mean you used an Unix program to save all your files from a MacOS
X installation and restore them?
I'm amazed that *only* FaxSTF no longer works.

A lot of files on MacOS have meta-data and resource forks but unix
programs ignore them. So what you actually saved is what unix
programs can see. In particular, resources in the resource forks,
something essential to many Carbon applications, are completely gone.
I highly suggest reinstalling MacOS X from scratch, even if you stick
with the Newton for fax sending. Also, I suggest keeping away from
any unix program for backup/compression unless you really know what
you're doing and what files you apply this to.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/