Re: [NTLK] Please Talk Me Out of This! - Long Sorry.

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 15:14:44 PDT

Well, independent of what we would all like, Apple will not be bringing
back the Newton.

There will be no more Newtons produced.

There will be no more operating system updates.

There will be no thin ones, fat ones, big ones, small ones.

The staff has left the building, some went to Microsoft, some went to Palm.

It IS a dead product.

As the NiMHs cease to charge, the screens get broken, and the worn out
dongles get lost with the missing socks the ranks will shrink.

On the otherhand, I spent two weeks reinstalling windos NT after
Microsquish sent out a bad patch. I installed 41 patches onto a W2000
system here in one day. With the Newton, Apple isn't going to tell you
where to go today.

You can no longer get support for Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT 3.5, and 4.
And yet people out there run their lives, businesses and enterprises on them.

If you buy a new 3.2 GHz Dell or the latest Dual 1.4GHz G5, if they have XP
cosmic edition or OS X rampant Lemur, the next version is about 1 quarter
away and you will never keep up.

The Newton is what it is. People are working hard to make it do new stuff.
Some people have sold them off because they can't do secure HTTP. Some
people picked them up because they make reasonable note takers. I got paid
to develop software for them and still think they are great devices.

The Sony looks interesting for a couple of reasons, it is the first Palm
based thingie that I have seen that has tried to convince people that they
need a bigger screen, and it is trying to be everything for everybody.

Strangely these were some of the complaints about the Newton that Palm
decided that it could fix by making a small screen, limited use box.

We are coming full circle.

Andrei

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html