Re: [NTLK] How reliable is NCU via incramental backup?

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 00:20:40 PST

What I do and what I can only recomend is to avoid incremental backups with
NCU.

To overcome this little "problem" I normally do the following:

1) all installation files for the packages I currently have on my Newt sit
together inb one folder on my Mac - that enables you to install all of them
in one go - and more important - you do not need to include them into the
backup

2) Since I have a memory card that is big enough for my purposes there is
sufficient space for a regular data back-up which I do

3) Once per month or so I perform a full backup using NCU ethernet
connection to my Mac. In order to let this run smoothly the folder you
selected for the backup (in NCU) shall be empty.
I use to move the backup files to another folder where I collect the backups
in sub-folders named by date

Backing up via Ethernet is really fast compared to other types of
connection.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html