Re: [NTLK] Newton Life Span Question

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 17:26:39 PST

Well one thing to keep in mind is that the MP2000 and MP2100 use flash RAM
for interal storage which have a limited number of write cycles. All other
MP's use SRAM which don't have that limitation. Perhaps the flash chips can
be replaced, but in 10 years, I don't know if the parts will be available or
not (or someone with the know-how to replace them, from what I hear, it is a
very tricky operation). I intend to use my newts for as long as they still
work, and repair them if they develop a problem. Unless something comes out
that is MUCH better than the MP's (which I don't see happning before the 10
year mark lol).

-Dan