Re: [NTLK] Newton Life Span Question

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 11:49:30 PST

* Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com> [14 Dec 2003 17:28]:
> Well one thing to keep in mind is that the MP2000 and MP2100 use flash RAM
> for interal storage which have a limited number of write cycles.

Ok, I'm not a hardware guru by any means, but I think it's not so much
"write cycles" as "write/erase cycles" - that is, each "write" doesn't
count as a cycle (good thing, since the Newt saves every 2 seconds...)
but erasing a block or sector or whatever they're called in flash memory
then starting to write again counts as a cycle.

Either way, I keep programs on internal and data on cards, because cards
can be replaced when they wear out, and programs don't change much and
therefore minimize the number of write/erase cycles. I expect my newton
to last until it gets physically destroyed, dammit! ;-)

> Unless something comes out that is MUCH better than the MP's (which I
> don't see happning before the 10 year mark lol).

Well, yeah, unless...

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project