Re: [NTLK] Installing Packages and Saving Info to a Card

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 23:35:44 PST

on 12/23/03 7:56 PM, brian middleton at brian_at_shelflife.com wrote:

> Is this a common practice among Newton users?

I can't speak for others, but data is one thing I don't store on cards. It
goes on internal. I put apps on my cards, and in my 2100, mp3s. :-) (I don't
play them much, but they are there...)

This way, my data is always with me, regardless of what card I have
installed. And yes, I started this practice back when I had 120s and 130s,
which have only one card slot. I also put all internet packages on internal,
and essential apps on internal. I put any and every non-essential app on the
card, so that when I went online with the modem in the card slot, the apps
had been removed from memory, and weren't taking up heap, and it also saved
me more space on internal for my NTLK email. ;-) That was my practice with
the 120 and 130... I kept that with my 2100, but I don't remove the card
now. I have a memory card in the bottom slot (32 meg) and either a network
card or modem card in the top slot, depending on where I am. It works
well...

One other practical reason to keep data on internal is that memory cards
have a rather limited number of read/write cycles. Reading alone doesn't
seem to count towards that, so storing data would use up a card faster than
merely storing apps... HTH

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland