Re: [NTLK] Reset question

From: doppler (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 16:15:07 PST

03-12-27 00.46, skrev doppler på roman_at_pixell.net följande:

> Pretec says that one should
>> not hit reset with their cards in and that damage to the card can result.
>> Now this is the first time I have heard this and they specifically mentioned
>> Newton's with 2.0 OS. I have hit rest with my cards in place many times and
>> have never noticed any damage.
>
> i have lost all info on a 16Mb card twice due to resets. since it was a
> deliberate reset, i always had the data backupped. i knew it could happen,
> and it did.

some clarification...

maybe i should add that my card was not a pretec card - it was a card from
transcend international, a taiwanese company with a dutch representation in
europe.

after several resets, the card was completely damaged and would not be
accepted in any newton. the card was under lifetime warranty and was
replaced by the company. this happened _twice_. im now using the my third
card successfully for the second year and always avoid resets with the card
in. so far, i have not had any problems.

--
an other culprit is the newtons handling of soups when changing between
swedish and US file systems. i know there is always a problem after a