Re: [NTLK] Installing Packages and Saving Info to a Card

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 11:49:11 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Glass
Date: Saturday, December 27, 2003 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Installing Packages and Saving Info to a Card

on 12/24/03 11:16 PM, Dan at dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com wrote:

> 2000's they have flash memory and therefore
> will wear out (just like a flash card) compared to the 1xx models.

Ooo, I didn't know that... Hm. I have to rethink my strategy!!! bummer...
Thanks for the info.

If you are swapping between Newtons (which, I think, was the original
question) you could do a backup and restore process... I forgot to mention
that...

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
-------------------
You are Welcome.   I know it suprised me when I found out.  But at the time
I guess Apple was planning on keeping the newton going so flash wearing out
was not a issue.  And with Flash of course, you don't have to worry about
the batteries dying at all.  There is a super cap to keep the clock and date
for a hour or so (between battery changes I guess).  But the rest is in
flash.
True you can do a backup and restore with a card, but I personally like
moving the data to a card, that way you don't have out confusion later as to
which is the lastest up to date version.
As for strategy, what I do is keep the constantly changing data (dates,
todos, notes, Works data) on the card.  And less often changind data like
names and such on the internal.  The rest is packages.  :)
-Dan
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html