Re: [NTLK] DHCP working with Orinoco Wireless/ABS? (was Re: questions on Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 14:56:11 PST

on 02/02/03 17:43, Darrell Greenwood at lists1_at_telus.net wrote:

> On 1/31/03 at 1:47 PM -0700, wmiranda_at_softhome.net wrote :
>
>> I noticed another difference in our configurations from reading your latest
>> reply. I turned WEP off on my router when I added the Newton to my network
>> since I couldn't wait for a registration code when I got my card and I
>> wanted to see if it worked. I've not had time to reactivate WEP yet. So, I'm
>> not currently running WEP. Could that be part of your problem? I didn't
>> think WEP was supported except for registered users? Have you registered the
>> wireless driver?
>
> I now have registered the driver.
>
> It still only will work with DHCP. Or WEP. But not both. The DHCP
> fails when WEP is activated. The Newton sends out what seem to be
> legit DHCP discovery packets and the Airport Base Station ignores
> them insofar as I can tell.
>
> Is this something peculiar to the ABS/Orinoco setup? Is anybody else
> using a ABS with the Newton?

I think that when I tried WEP with my graphite AirPort Base Station, it
wouldn't work. That was not even with DHCP, but a manual configuration. I
have the same setup, ORiNOCO Silver and ABS...

-Laurent.

fandango on core n.: [Unix/C hackers, from the Iberian dance] In C, a wild
pointer that runs out of bounds, causing a core dump, or corrupts the
malloc(3) arena in such a way as to cause mysterious failures later on, is
sometimes said to have `done a fandango on core'. On low-end personal
machines without an MMU (or Windows boxes, which have an MMU but use it
incompetently), this can corrupt the OS itself, causing massive lossage.
Other frenetic dances such as the cha-cha or the watusi, may be substituted.
See aliasing bug, precedence lossage, smash the stack, memory leak, memory
smash, overrun screw, core.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html