Re: [NTLK] Why did Apple use a serial dongle?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 11:30:39 PST

Quoting "Stocker, Michael" <mstocker_at_accelent.com>:

> Upon review of the Newton Interconnect Port ....
>
> Noticed that there is a provision for connecting more than one Newton =
> type device through the port:
> Pin 1 - PowerInPos2 (2-cell systems)
> Pin 2 - PowerInPos4 (4-cell systems)
> Pin14 - PowerInPos4 (4-cell systems)

Bzzt! Wrong. The PowerInPos were supposed to be capable of charging or
providing power to a Newton through the Interconnect port, the same way the AC
adapter plug does. If you were building a Newton docking station, you
wouldn't want to have to plug in a separate cable to charge it - heavens no!

Pin 1 was supposed to be used for Newtons that used 2-cell battery systems
(ie. a 3V power source as opposed to a 6V power source). There are no 2-cell
Newtons. Where you got the idea that this was for connection two Newtons
together, I have no idea. This is all described on page 7 of the Interconnect
specs PDF I referenced earlier.

Oh hey, on a totally unrelated note... the limits of the Newton (2x00) power
system are actually buried on page 12 of this document... to quote again:

"The output of the adapter must be designed to appear as a Thevenin equivalent
source with an open circuit voltage of 6.75V to 7.50V, and have a source
resistance of 0.2W to 0.4W over an output current range of 5mA to 1300mA.

When the current is below 5mA, the source voltage may not exceed 7.7V. The
output from the adapter must be current-limited to between 1.1A and 1.3A, over
the input voltage range of 4.5V to 7.0V.

Below an output of 4.0V, the current limit may be folded back or stepped back
without damage."

Followed by two tables. In short, the absolute max VDC input is 7.50V and the
max current limit is 1300mA. The minimum useful VDC input is 5.6V.
Interested people, look up the info yourself instead of debating about my
lousy summary :)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html