Re: [NTLK] Serial to USB adapter - Recommendations? Ones to avoid?

From: Donald Wilson (marchie_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 09:34:35 PST

I've seen (and heard) about 2 kinds of USB->Serial adapter: Those that
work, and those that don't.

There are el-cheapo ones available... but I haven't seen any with Mac
drivers.

Belkin makes one that I beleive doesn't work for the NewtSync and
NewTen connections, because it doesn't register itself as a device in
the /etc directory.

There are several Keyspan adapters. I use the High Speed Serial adapter
(has a DB9 PC style serial port), and it works great, as does the Twin
Serial Adapter (2 Mac style serial ports)

I beleive the PDA adapter from Keyspan would work well, and is cheaper
than the other Keyspans.

Hope that helps,
Donald

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html