Re: [NTLK] Need eMate repaired ASAP.

From: Anthony Velasco (ecotone_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 01:04:55 PST

Just an update...

Timothy and I dove into his eMate this evening. We found the dreaded
spring-puncture syndrome, as expected, but much to our dismay we found more
serious problems as well. The flat-cable also had been sheared over 5
traces. The cable does not appear to be repairable without some serious
restoring. We hope to find a replacement cable in the near future to bring
the eMate back to life.

Thanks to Frank's site,
         http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html,
we managed the disassembly with little effort and no accidents! Thanks to
all who contributed.

Timothy also brought a couple of malfunctioning keyboards. We cleaned the
membranes on one with De-Oxit D5, but had to degrease it with isopropanol to
restore full function. It appears that De-Oxit prevented good contact
between the membranes. Apparently, there is contact cleaner made by the CAIG
company (who makes De-Oxit) that is specifically designed for keyboard
membranes, but it was not available to us at the time.

The revived keyboard should maintain Timothy's productivity until we can
revive his eMate. We took a few pictures of the punctured/sheared cable and
would be willing to share it with anyone interested in the degree of
mutilation we have discovered...hoping that this may contribute to
engineering an adequate replacement cable by some ambitious engineers, or
other creative minds in the community.

  Anthony Velasco, USFWS-Ecologist/ecotoxicologist
             ecotone_tv_at_hotmail.com
This Newt's trekking through cactusland and lov'n it!
Managing Sales and Licensing for Newton Software at:
 http://www.thisoldnewt.com/~tactilesales/index.html
or  http://www.tactile.com - Tactile Systems, Inc.
Contact me via the above E-mail for more information