Re: [NTLK] Need eMate repaired ASAP.

From: Anthony Velasco (ecotone_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 13:04:10 PST

I believe there is a difference in the contacts. I think the keyboard uses a carbon-based contact, while the display uses a metallic contact. With metallic contacts, an anti-oxidation layer has improved efficiencies over a longer term; I'm not sure if that is the case with the carbon contacts, but it occurred to me that they may oxidize just they same...so the cleaning helped. I think carbon is less conductive than the metal contacts and the oil layer may be hampering conductivity....but, I'm no electrical engineer, so correct me if I'm wrong!

On Friday, February 07, 2003, at 11:23AM, Jeremy Bond Shepherd <jbond_at_jameswhale.com> wrote:

>> Timothy also brought a couple of malfunctioning keyboards. We cleaned
>> the
>> membranes on one with De-Oxit D5, but had to degrease it with
>> isopropanol to
>> restore full function. It appears that De-Oxit prevented good contact
>> between the membranes. Apparently, there is contact cleaner made by
>> the CAIG
>> company (who makes De-Oxit) that is specifically designed for keyboard
>> membranes, but it was not available to us at the time.
>
>This is interesting. I tried using a De-Oxit pen on my touchscreen-MOBO
>connector to cure a case of jaggies, but it didn't help and may have
>made it worse. Is it possible that this property of the De-Oxit that
>you experienced could also have prevented a good contact between the
>flexible touchscreen connector and the MOBO? Maybe I should seek out
>the CAIG cleaner intended for keyboard membranes and try that on one of
>my jaggified Newts? Hmmm.....
>
>-
>Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | Doubt is not a pleasant condition,
>San Francisco, CA | but certainty is absurd.
>jbond_at_jameswhale.com | -- Voltaire
>Phone: 415-929-0297 |
>AIM: jeremybondsf |
>PGP key available on public keyservers.

  Anthony Velasco, USFWS-Ecologist/ecotoxicologist
              ecotone_tv_at_hotmail.com
This Newt's trekking through cactusland and lov'n it!
 Managing Sales and Licensing for Newton Software at:
 http://www.thisoldnewt.com/~tactilesales/index.html
 or  http://www.tactile.com - Tactile Systems, Inc.
 Contact me via the above E-mail for more information
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html