Re: [NTLK] Newton wireless pt100

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 16:47:58 PST

on 09/02/03 17:59, Nancy Haitz at nhaitz_at_earthlink.net wrote:

>> on 09/02/03 16:50, Martin Joseph at martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com wrote:

>>> Completely Wrong! The 5300 and I believe the 1400 also have different
>>> PCMCIA architecture then later models, and the Apple airport software
>>> doesn't work on these.
>>
>> On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 05:30 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>>
>> I'm surprised that it wouldn't work. If AirPort software requires OS 9
>> and
>> if the 5300 has OS 9, it should work, methinks. Unless the 5300 PCMCIA
>> slots
>> are not real PCMCIA or support an older version of the PCMCIA protocol.
>
> It has been a while since I owned a 5300, but it does have the "older"
> protocol. The newer laptops support the newer "CardBus" protocol. (I
> don't remember when the change took place - I think when Apple moved
> from PPC to G3 on the laptops)
>
>> The built-in AirPort slot in any PowerBook is just a second PCMCIA slot.
>
> Yes, but the laptops with a true AirPort slot also have a built -in
> antenna. The AirPort card itself has no antenna.

If it supports an older PCMCIA protocol than version 2.1, then it would not
work indeed. BTW, all Wavelan cards I've seen so far are *NOT* cardbus. You
don't need a cardbus enabled PowerBook to use them. If not, then we wouldn't
be able to use those Lucent WaveLan/ORiNOCO cards in our 2100!

It is true that the AirPort card doesn't have an antenna, but that doesn't
matter, it's still a PCMCIA card, like the Lucent one...

-Laurent.

fix n.,v.: What one does when a problem has been reported too many times to
be ignored.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html