Re: [NTLK] Newton wireless pt100

From: Nancy Haitz (nhaitz_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 14:59:10 PST

> on 09/02/03 16:50, Martin Joseph at martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 01:17 PM, Roman Pixell wrote:

>>> well, why should they keep the mac unit? the lucent chipset works=20
>>> perfectly well in OS9, the orinoco cards are even recognised as "apple
>>> airport"...
>>> if you run OS9 or higher, theres no need for an extra driver!
>>
>> Completely Wrong! The 5300 and I believe the 1400 also have different
>> PCMCIA architecture then later models, and the Apple airport software
>> doesn't work on these.
>
> On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 05:30 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
> I'm surprised that it wouldn't work. If AirPort software requires OS 9
> and
> if the 5300 has OS 9, it should work, methinks. Unless the 5300 PCMCIA
> slots
> are not real PCMCIA or support an older version of the PCMCIA protocol.

It has been a while since I owned a 5300, but it does have the "older"
protocol. The newer laptops support the newer "CardBus" protocol. (I
don't remember when the change took place - I think when Apple moved
from PPC to G3 on the laptops)

> The built-in AirPort slot in any PowerBook is just a second PCMCIA slot.

Yes, but the laptops with a true AirPort slot also have a built -in
antenna. The AirPort card itself has no antenna.

> I would make sure that the OS on that machine can support AirPort
> software. Then, I would install AirPort before trying the Lucent's
> driver. If it doesn't work, then I guess there would be no choice but
> use that driver...

I am still very new at using the Newton. I am still working on getting
my 2100 to work wirelessly with our Lombard G3 and DSL router. If I get
that working, I will try to connect it to our Powerbook 3400. The 3400
has the older protocol issues too. Right now, I am working with a
Proxim Skyline card. The other wireless PCMCIA card we have will not
work in the Newton or the 3400. If I get the Newton to work with the
3400 I will repost.

Nancy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html