Re: [NTLK] Local Talk?!?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 17:44:07 PST

Quoting James Elliott <james.elliott_at_newted.org>:

> Go out to the box on the side of your house where the phone line
> comes in and twist the yellow and the black wires together. Those
> are the wires used by LocalTalk. I don't think this will work if
> you've caller ID, but I don't have that, so I don't know.
> Adaptor-wise, I've a few. I could send you some, I just don't
> remember if I've any terminators about.

I don't know if you're actually joking or not, James, but this sounds like a
bad idea... unless you can explain a little bit more? I don't see why this
would be necessary to run a point-A to point-B PhoneNet connection. As long
as you have a spare pair of wire already run, you'd just have to wire up an
extra jack to each end of the pair... Or does PhoneNet require more than two
wires?

At least in Canada, the "box on the side of your house where the phone line
comes in" is the service demarcation line - everything below the box to your
central office is the phone company's, and everything from the box and inside
your house is *yours*. If you mess things up in there in might mean a call
to Ma Bell and a big service bill...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html