Re: [NTLK] ethernet card for powerbook 1400

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 13:31:01 PST

on 2/12/03 2:03 PM, Chris Ruprecht at chris_at_ruprecht.org wrote:
> the farallon cards are the same as the older 3C589 (OEM versions).
> The 3C589D cards are a lot faster from my experience, on PowerBooks and
> Newtons.
    I have a REV A Farallon EtherMac and EtherWave card in the Newton and
and a REV D EtherMac card in the PowerBook. I've tried the 3C589D, 3CCE589ET
and 3CXE589ET in the Newton as well. I noticed no speed differences and have
had fewer connection problems with the Farallon. In tests I did, the
Farallon also used a bit less power than the 3Com cards. Also there's the
advantage of just having the one driver installed with the Farallon _ one
package I was using (can't remember what now) conflicted with the 3Com addon
as well and was another deciding factor. The other card I like for the
Newton is the D-Link DE660+.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html