Re: [NTLK] Names Application Help Needed

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 09:32:21 PST

on 2/14/03 5:42 PM, DDenby_at_aol.com at DDenby_at_aol.com wrote:

> It is definitely the NOS system that has become corrupt. I took the card to
> another Newton and the soup data was fine and everything worked fine -- new
> and filing systems. So the question is, how to reinstall the NOS 2.1? As I
> recall, everytime I have done a complete brainwipe in the past, the NOS was
> not affected.

There are still a couple of other options for where your problems are coming
from.

1. Are you sure that _all_ your names data is on the card? Open up Extras,
tap on the Storage folder, and then tap on the names safe. The resulting
window will tell you how many items are on the card and how many are
internal. If you want to really see if you have a corrupt entry, and don't
care where your names are, try to file everything on the card. If you get an
error, then you know that your soup on your internal store is corrupt.

2. It is possible that you have another extension (autopart) or application
that is causing problems with your names, or even conflicting with another
app when you open your names. As a general rule, if you have two items that
effect the same data, you will be bound to have troubles. For instance, it's
not a good idea to have both More Info and DateMan active on your Newt at
the same time. :-)

These two areas are where I would suggest looking.

BTW, you have tried resetting your Newt (soft reset) and kept packages from

-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
<mailto:jonglass_at_usa.net>
"[The] law established by the Creator, which has existed from the beginning,
extends over the whole globe, is everywhere and at all times binding upon
mankind. . . . and is paramount to all human control." --Rufus King, signer
of the Constitution
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html