Re: [NTLK] Newton Instant Messaging

From: Presence (presence_at_irev.net)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 17:40:03 PST

 I'm supa-dupa into instant messaging, with IRC, AIM, and ICQ clients on
every box I have access to, regardless of OS or platform. Except the
Newton.

 Jabber as a messaging network is kinda funky and its default stand-alone
stance is pretty weak. I'm all for XML being the carrier of IM data and
the ease of getting Jabber servers and clients on any computer, but NO ONE
really USES any Jabber networks. Its like an IRC network with 2 oppers
and no actual users.

  However, Jabber servers have the option to plug in transports for other
services like AIM and IRC, so I jumped on the chance that (like Windows'
Trillian client) I could have all my IM systems behind one NewtJabber
client.

 I threw down an install of a Jabber server on my freebsd box and then
went surfing for the transports... All of which *exist* but are
*experimental*, aka, "We tried, but we couldn't get it to work right."
And thats where I am left too... A nifty but useless Jabber server and
client and an inability to communicate with anyone.

 Surfing Jabber.org's listing of public Jabber servers, I notice that none
of them offer AIM/ICQ or IRC transports still. Very very frustrating.

  - Presence
    http://presence.irev.net/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html