Re: [NTLK] Help: A Mostly Dead 2000

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 13:55:11 EST

On 07/01/03 13:44, "John Del Pizzo" <jrd_at_delcannsoftware.com> wrote:

> So I bought a "dead" MP 2000 on eBay. The case and screen are in excellent
> condition... so I'm tempted to try to revive it. As we all know, mostly-dead
> is not the same as all dead (ref. the Princes Bride)
>
> When plugged in, the unit will not power up at all. It's dead-dead.
>
> When run on batteries, it will momentarily power up. It gets about half way
> through the restart chimes and briefly shows the restart screen (black
> screen, Newton Logo, System version, etc) before shutting down.
>
> With the battery pack, I was able to do a hard reset... but the MessagePad
> still won't progress beyond half of the start up chimes.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions of what could be the problem before I rip this
> unit apart?

The only thing I can think of is the trick where you remove all power and
leave it there for a few hours. Then, plug the adapter and try to do a reset
or a hard reset.

-Laurent.

coaster n.: 1. Unuseable CD produced during failed attempt at writing to
writeable or re-writeable CD media. Certainly related to the coaster-like
shape of a CD, and the relative value of these failures. "I made a lot of
coasters before I got a good CD." 2. Useless CDs received in the mail from
the likes of AOL, MSN, CI$, Prodigy, ad nauseam.