[NTLK] A Possibly Dead 2100u - WAS: A Mostly Dead 2000

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 11:38:39 EST

Imagine my surprise after returning from a business trip with a newly dead
Newton :-( to find a number of threads on the same topic :-)

Before I start hunting around for a replacement for the unit that is sitting
here case off and silent as a stone, I thought I'd send out a request for
any help.

This 2100u was working fine, having cleared airport security, etc. and I was
happily reading Wired articles on the plane. I packed it up in my tote bag
along with keyboard, and transferred planes for the second leg of my
journey. But, when I tried to use it on the plane, no go. I flicked the
switch but there was no sound, no flickering on the screen. Nothing.

I took out the main battery in my hotel room. Let it sit a few minutes.
Plugged in AC power. No go.

Near as I can figure, there may have been a bit too much pressure on the
case from my other carry on bag as the two bags jossled about hanging from
my shoulder as I raced to make my connecting flight. Could extra pressure on
the case or case twisting (I doubt this happened, though) cause the Newt to
die?

The only other thing that came to mind was the headphone jack hack I put in,
but after opening it, all the wiring still appears to be well-connected and
well insulted.

I reseated the RAM card (as suggested by Victor). I'm trying to leave the
unit unpowered, and will try to revive it on AC in a few hours.

Any other suggestions are warmly welcome.

thanks,
blair

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html