Re: [NTLK] Way to tell if Newton is Japanese?

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_Streamserve.Com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 13:02:32 EST

I'm not sure exactly how your data flow works, but it might be worth noting
that the Newton is natively language independent- it's all Unicode (I assume
you know that already :). Therefore, the question of whether there are
non-ANSI characters encoded in the Unicode strings anywhere in a person's
soups is, in the end, unrelated to their primary input language.. but if you
want to make an educated guess, perhaps you could ask the Newton for its
owner's name and check the characters of that for kanji (or kana for that
matter)? You could do the same for the data as well- check whether the
characters are in a non-ANSI range and offer an appropriate Mac-side
encoding?
/sam

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html