Re: [NTLK] PDF Converter

From: Hendrik Lipka (hendrik.lipka_at_gmx.de)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 04:33:01 EST

> If I would had more spare time, I could write such a thing by
> myself, but there are other (and for me more important) things to

Sometimes I'm a very irresponsible person, and do things I shouldn't
do - like writing a PDF-to-JPG-Converter, when I'm supposed to get
some sleep...

So I have looked at jpedal, found that one of the examples was nearly
what I needed, and started coding.

The result can be downloaded at
http://www.hendriklipka.de/newton/pdfconv-0.0.1.zip (950k).

I have tested with a documentation of one of my programs:
- 160k in size
- 26 pages
- created by pdfLaTeX

The resulting images are
- of image size 595x841 pixels (I don't know if this is hard-coded in
jpedal, but the images could be scaled)
- of file size 15k up to 90k (depending on the amount of text)
- 1400k as whole

I have tested with JDK 1.3.1 and 1.4.0 under WinNT. I'm not sure if it
works under MacOS/X, because for writing the JPEGs jpedal uses a
com.sun.* package, which may not be available. If it doesn't work, one
would need to change the image writing to another package.

What's missing:
- generating a HTML page linking all image
- scaling the images (what would be the right size?), to reduce the
  file size
- setting a high image quality, to have good readability
- test with a mac
- test with more and different PDF files
- maybe we need a GUI?

Since the jpedal examples are licensed under LGPL, my program needs
also be put under LGPL or GPL. If anybody wants to use this code -
just do it!

Regards,

hli

--
Mřřse trained to mix concrete and                                 Hendrik Lipka
sign complicated insurance forms                           hendrik.lipka_at_gmx.de